Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ArtStar

From Chris Heaney's Harland and Wolff series
I'm really excited about working with ArtStar, a great NY-based company who promote affordable art prints, especially as it means I get to support work I love. My first "curator's pick" is a photographer whose career I've followed since art school in Glasgow. Chris Heaney photographed the (then recently-decommissioned) Maze prison back when he was an undergrad, and his work has grown ever more haunting beautiful since then.

What I admire most is how he blends a successful commercial career with his art practice. I don't see a division between "art photography," "documentary" and "commercial." The most compelling photography blends these elements rather than creates divisions (this is the truncated version of my thoughts on this, maybe for another, longer post). Here's my short interview introducing his work, where you can also find links to his prints on ArtStar if you want to take a peek.

From The Switch Room series
From Incarceration series